The Risks of LASIK – 5 Must-Know Risks of Getting LASIK Eye Surgery

 

the-risks-of-lasik

According to recent statistics, close to a thousand individuals get a LASIK eye surgery from the three main hospitals in Singapore yearly. Of this number, 98% claim to be pleased with the outcomes of the procedure. The remaining 2% however, complain of side effects that occurred post-operation. While 2% might not seem like a significant amount of the total, the number just goes to prove that the risks of LASIK eye surgery are very real. So before you contact an eye center in Singapore, be sure to learn more about the risks of LASIK to better prepare yourself for the procedure.

 

  1. Under or Over Corrections – Because of the limited surface area that doctors work with during LASIK eye surgery, it’s possible for over or under corrections to occur. This happens when too much or too little of the tissue is removed, thus causing more issues with vision. To avoid this outcome, refrain from using contact lenses up to 3 weeks before the procedure, and learn more about the tools to be used for the process. The more advanced the tools, the less likely errors will occur.

 

  1. Visual Disturbances – Some clients complain of glares, halos, and other visual disturbances that occur especially in low light conditions. For many patients, the disturbances resolve on their own once the eyes have healed in 3 to 6 months. However, those whose visual disturbance problems persist might need to see their doctor for further treatment.

 

dryness

  1. Dryness – The process of LASIK eye surgery reduces the production of tears, and this could be a problem for those who are particularly sensitive with the feeling of having dry eyes. This can occur for up to 6 months after the surgery, and may cause serious irritation and discomfort for most. Using an over the counter eye drop solution can be well enough to resolve the matter. However, if dryness becomes severe, you can opt for a second procedure to plug the tear ducts, and thus prevent tears from draining from the surface of the eyes.

 

  1. Astigmatism – This eye condition is characterized by distorted vision. Letters, numbers, and other symbols may seem misshapen and blurred, causing difficulties with reading. For those who undergo LASIK, astigmatism is caused by uneven tissue removal. Doctors can either repair the problem with another procedure, or prescribe contacts or glasses in the meantime.

 

  1. Visual Loss – Very rarely, patients will experience temporary loss of vision. Of course, for many, this can be a very daunting experience. However, many of those who suffer from it regain their vision within a few weeks or months of the operation. Be sure to talk to your doctor and have your eyes inspected regularly post-op to closely monitor this side effect, and to determine if there is a need for supplementary procedures.

 

Many of the side effects experienced after a LASIK eye surgery can all resolve on their own. Be sure to understand each one, so you won’t be caught off-guard if and when they happen to you. Despite the risks, LASIK remains one of the safest procedures for eye correction today. Choose the right doctor, learn all you need to know, and follow all the right procedures for a fast, safe, and problem-free recovery.

lasik-remains-one-of-the-safest-procedures-for-eye-correction-today

REFERENCES:  https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/home/costs_and_financing/hospital-charges/Total-Hospital-Bills-By-condition-procedure/myopia_surgery_lasikbotheyes.html  http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/lasik-eye-surgery/basics/risks/prc-20019041

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

8 + eight =